Sunday, October 4, 2009

Days Run Together!!!!!

After laying in the emergency room for 8 hours and losing the use of my left side while I layed there. I was in shock, with no wife and only a few friends , other than friends from work. I was extremely concerned what would happen to me. I was admitted and placed in ICU and began the long hard journey to trying to recover some semblance of normal! Trying to get comfortable was a major effort since only half of me worked. I later learned that the doctors did not expect me to make it thru the night.

Many of my co-workers came to the hospital, other friends and the lady I was dating at the time. She was the person that I had thought I would never see again since I made sure she was told of my condition. I just figured she would disappear. As it turned out she would be a major reason I would recover enough to manage on my own many, many months later.

I was told at some point I would be moved to a rehab hospital as soon as a bed was available. All the first few days just seem like a daze and I still have trouble remembering all that went on and when it went on. I know I was sent by ambulance twice for an MRI at another hospital. No fun at all., The days and nights all ran together and I wondered if my future was a nursing home?? Not a happy thought and very depressing.

As I became aware later, the depression from realizing that your life is forever changed and there is the possibility you will be totally dependent on someone else to survive. All of that is very hard to combat in your mind. Fighting the depression is very, very difficult. There appears, to you, that there is no hope. When you have a friend to talk to you can keep your mind off of it for a short time. A very short time. I know from experience that depression is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome and you and the drugs they give you for it help, but you need someone you love to be there for you too. Without that person, I don't think you can get through a major setback just with friends and rehab. For me it was very important that my lady loved me and was there to help me and encourage me almost everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment